Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Walking the Tightrope of a Metaphorical Web

I've been out of school for more than 5 months, and I'm not the kind of person who enjoys going to the mall nor just basically going outside. I enjoy internet people more compared to people in real life, and in this, I spend more time in front of my laptop. And within this time span, I've observed a lot of things, and learned a lot of stuff about how things go down in the metaphorical web of bliss and lies. 

I love to blog on tumblr, and I've encountered arguments about cultural appropriation, racism, sexist, misandry, anon hate, suicide and a lot of things we take lightly.

Acceptance
One has to accept that Internet is not a value free-zone .It means World Wide Web is a place where values are considered in the broadest sense so we must take care while shaping content and services and we should recognize that internet is not apart from universal society but it is a primary component of it. 

We are obligated, in real life or in the internet, to be moral, to be kind to others. Yet an equal amount of people can't seem to follow so they just do whatever they want. I've seen death threats and you-should-kill-yourself messages thrown at people because of their behavior or just plainly because they don't like something. People should not tell other people to kill themselves just because they don't like something.

Pretending to be someone else
We must not use internet to fool others by pretending to be someone else. Hiding our own identity to fool others in the Internet world is a crime and may also be a risk to others.

I had a friend, he has a hobby of sending anonymous messages to people, sending hack threats, or just plainly "Trolling" or pranking people on the internet. He also sent me a hack threat at first before I actually met him via chat, at first I wasn't reacting violently to his threats, I just played cool and didn't show distress because I know that they enjoy what they do if people are fooled or giveaway a reaction they want to see. Even though I already met him, and were friends, he still tries to send me anon messages which could never fool me and I had to laugh because of his failure, but when he started targeting my other friends, that's where I drew the line. He's now my ex friend.

Avoid Bad language
We must not use rude or bad language while using e-Mail, chatting, blogging and social networking, We need to respect their views and should not criticize anyone on the internet.

I won't say to any of the readers to avoid it just because if I did tell you, I'd be a hypocrite. I still feel guilty and afraid if ever people who expects me to not use profane words, find out that I have betrayed them, that I have brushed their teachings under the rug. But I tell you this, I've never, EVER, in my memory, used cuss words to hurt someone's feelings, I only use it for laughs and exaggeration of certain things. And up to this day, I'm still wondering what have caused me to get used to a habit like it, I do wish I knew so I can avoid it.

Do the things you like as long as it doesn't hurt others, okay?

While Downloading 
Internet is used to listen and learn about music,It is also used to watch videos and play games we must not use it to download them or share copyrighted material. We must be aware of the importance of copyrights and issues of copyright.

"Why pay for it if you can get it for free?" A quote that has been in my life, and been in a whole lot of others. But I also go by the habit of buying softwares and games in legal copies if I can afford them, specially when I opened a paypal account, and also in my earlier teenage years where I used to listen to a rock band, I prefer buying their albums instead of just downloading their songs from the web, but I've never attempted to sell these copies for my own income.

Speaking of copyright, I really hate plagiarism, I loathe it. Just knowing someone posted my drawings somewhere else without crediting or sourcing makes me twitch. Specially if they've traced my drawings without permission nor credit, and the thing I hate the most: Art theft.

What Constitutes Art Theft?
Art Theft is taking something that you did not create yourself and reposting it/editing it and claiming it as your own.
Some examples of art theft include: Screen shots of an anime, manga scans, things found on google image search, photobucket, or deviantart/sheezyart/other art sites (ESPECIALLY art sites), photos of celebrities, etc.
All of these things belong to the original artist or photographer and are not "free use" just because they are on the internet.
I used to be cautious about posting my ideas online because I'm afraid that someone will snatch it and take all the credit.

I do my best to make original content and ideas, and I get all frustrated if someone points out that my ideas are similar to existing ones. I don't want to get bashed by people just because I made something that I wasn't aware of that I copied something. IF I do know that my ideas are inspired or references any other things, and also whenever I use a stock image, I'll make sure to credit the sources.

=================

Sources:
http://infosecawareness.in/students/internet-ethics
http://www.theotaku.com/worlds/eminor/view/174995/

No comments:

Post a Comment